- Court action is next step as school board votes 4-3 on third reading of bylaw to close OSSPosted 4 days ago
- Syrian refugee family learning English, adapting to life in Osoyoos communityPosted 4 days ago
- School board looks at ideas to battle deficitPosted 4 days ago
- 300 turn out to discuss independent high school for OsoyoosPosted 4 days ago
- EDITORIAL: Town’s failed offer proved SD 53 always acting in bad faithPosted 4 days ago
- School district rejects town’s offer of $1 million over three years to keep OSS openPosted 4 days ago
- Bernier’s claim that he met MLA Larson ‘daily’ on school issue questionedPosted 4 days ago
- Osoyoos Today: Town threatening legal action if school district closes OSSPosted 1 week ago
- 300 turn out to discuss vision for Osoyoos independent schoolPosted 1 week ago
- Town prepared to offer more than $1 million over three years to keep OSS openPosted 2 weeks ago
ANOTHER OSOYOOS RESIDENT SPEAKS OUT AGAINST FORTISBC’S PLANS TO BRING SMART METERS TO TOWN
This is an open letter to management with FortisBC.
You appear determined to install the so-called “smart” meters in our homes despite the fact that they emit electro-magnetic radiation that is considered to be a class B carcinogen akin to DDT and asbestos.
This must be a program to lower your costs for labour and benefits.
Recently you announced a two-tiered rate system for electrical consumption. Obviously this will help to defray the costs of installations.
But I don’t think offering free clotheslines as a sweetener is going to change many minds about these smart meters.
Unfortunately, all energy used in my home is electrical, barring the clothes drying, as I use my outdoor clothesline all year. During the summer months I can keep my home relatively cool by opening my doors and windows at night and closing them and drawing the blinds during the day.
Winters are problematic. As I am a senior and on a modest pension, as many of us in this community are, I am faced with a difficult choice.
Do I go hungry in a warm home or do I freeze with food on my table.