- Osoyoos needs to be promoted as great place to live, not just visit, says councillorPosted 3 days ago
- New information sessions coming in March for those looking to find jobs at Okanagan Correctional CentrePosted 3 days ago
- Local MP, BCFGA speak out against genetically modified apples being approved for U.S. marketPosted 3 days ago
- Organizers of Easter Eggstravaganza say event will proceed, but 2015 parade will be cancelledPosted 3 days ago
- Rai leads Rattlers into Valley ChampionshipsPosted 3 days ago
- SOMHA Bantams have qualified to compete in provincial championship tournamentPosted 3 days ago
- Posse won’t go down without a fight in opening round series against CoyotesPosted 3 days ago
- Rogers will hold public meeting in Osoyoos over cellphone towerPosted 3 days ago
- Alberta horse owner/trainer brings huge stable of 60 horses to train at Desert ParkPosted 3 days ago
- Hockey Canada’s top brass visiting town this week to review acclaimed academyPosted 3 days ago
ANOTHER OSOYOOS RESIDENT SPEAKS OUT AGAINST FORTISBC’S PLANS TO BRING SMART METERS TO TOWN
This is an open letter to management with FortisBC.
You appear determined to install the so-called “smart” meters in our homes despite the fact that they emit electro-magnetic radiation that is considered to be a class B carcinogen akin to DDT and asbestos.
This must be a program to lower your costs for labour and benefits.
Recently you announced a two-tiered rate system for electrical consumption. Obviously this will help to defray the costs of installations.
But I don’t think offering free clotheslines as a sweetener is going to change many minds about these smart meters.
Unfortunately, all energy used in my home is electrical, barring the clothes drying, as I use my outdoor clothesline all year. During the summer months I can keep my home relatively cool by opening my doors and windows at night and closing them and drawing the blinds during the day.
Winters are problematic. As I am a senior and on a modest pension, as many of us in this community are, I am faced with a difficult choice.
Do I go hungry in a warm home or do I freeze with food on my table.