- Sockeye surging past Zosel Dam in Oroville as cooler temperatures encourage migrationPosted 2 days ago
- Rain provides lull, but wildfire risk likely to returnPosted 2 days ago
- Mount Baldy ski resort assets for sale in court-approved foreclosurePosted 4 days ago
- Osoyoos council plans comprehensive bylaw to address RV parksPosted 4 days ago
- Sewer study to shape improvements over next two decadesPosted 4 days ago
- Recreational Sockeye fishery opening on Osoyoos Lake expected at end of monthPosted 2 weeks ago
- Highway 97 will soon get $3M facelift from Osoyoos to OliverPosted 2 weeks ago
- Third wildfire burning near Mount KobauPosted 2 weeks ago
- Osoyoos man believed to be drowned near RevelstokePosted 2 weeks ago
- Shendah Benoit to become principal at Tuc El Nuit ElementaryPosted 2 weeks ago
Car sold without spare tire leads to horror for motorist
Last October 2012, I purchased a pre-owned Kia Rio with about 1,000 km. It still had the original warranty, five years or 100,000 km.
Recently I went on a road trip to Calgary from the Okanagan. On the return trip I got a flat tire. I went to the trunk to get the spare and discovered, to my horror, that there was no spare tire in the compartment where there should have been.
The location where the flat occurred was a flat stretch of unshaded highway. The temperature hovered around 40 degrees and the traffic was nonstop. My companions were prepared to change the tire, had there been one, and we could have been on our way in half an hour. As it was, it took us close to two hours to get out of the heat and to a tire repair shop.
The following day I phoned Kia and was told it had been a decision by Kia Canada to no longer put a spare tire in our particular model Kia. Instead they substituted the spare, the jack and the wrench with “tire mobility kit sealant”. It did not work for us, and the tire shop told me that in their experience none of these kits had ever worked to inflate a flat enough to get them to a repair shop.
So if you are thinking of buying act Kia Rio, and it has no spare but only a tire mobility kit sealant, I would suggest caution. Personally I would not buy another Kia Rio without a spare tire.