CELEBRATE TORCH RELAY, STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT PROROGATION

By on January 26, 2010

Editor:
I would like to respond to Laurena Weninger’s article of January 13th, 2010, “Local MP feels prorogation…”
I find the word “prorogation” to be Canada’s newest piece of current vocabulary.
Mr. Atamanenko finds this to be “dictatorial” and a “real affront to democracy.”
So I guess the question that needs to be asked: “Why have Canadian governments prorogued parliament over 104 times before?”
Mr. Atamanenko would rather work towards embarrassing Canada when all the nations of the world will be celebrating the Vancouver Winter Games.
Why can’t Mr. Atamanenko work towards building up Canada during this period of celebration?
There will be plenty of time to bring Canada down to Mr. Atamanenko’s level after the games.
This week the Olympic torch arrives in Osoyoos and other communities in BC Southern Interior.
It will be interesting to see how many people are concerned about the prorogation of parliament?
I know the great citizens of this riding and their pride in Canada, British Columbia and Osoyoos will swell as those fine young Canadians bring the torch into town.
So let’s enjoy the extra 22 days that parliament is shut and concentrate on making Canada the envy of the world!
Stephen Hill,
Federal Conservative Candidate

OSOYOOS TIMES-January 27, 2010

WRITER HAS SOLUTIONS FOR GOOSE PROBLEM

Editor:
In response to the submitted article on the issue of the Canada geese in and around Osoyoos, I would propose, as a way to redistribute this goose population, the following:
Encourage the geese to graze in the orchards by planting certain species of broad-leafed and grass plants between the rows and on the edges of cultivated land and orchards.
This would be a valuable source of organic fertilizer and offer a significant degree of pest control in the orchards.
Further to this, it may be helpful to develop a “geese zone” somewhere along the lake, where there is good dilution of their feces and where it is more conducive to their needs than the beach.
This would effectively entice them away from the public beach areas.
When talking about the public good and pollution of our lake, let us keep this in perspective, remembering all sources of pollution, including the significant impact of motorized watercraft (one drop of boat oil pollutes several thousand litres of water.)
All I know is I would love to have three pounds of “goose-poop” for my garden!
Richard Walker,
Osoyoos

OSOYOOS TIMES-January 27, 2010

LOCAL GROUP RAISES MORE THAN $8,000 FOR HAITI RELIEF

Editor:
I am thankful that I woke up this morning and I knew where my children were.
The plight of Haiti appears to have captured the world’s imagination on a scale that few other calamities have.
Osoyoos has responded with great generosity.
As I sat in a local store over these past 10 days, I observed a young couple pay for their groceries and then approach to put a ten dollar bill in the pot for Haiti Relief.
They must have felt, as I do, that it is all we can do to help.
I do not know what causes each of us to feel so helpless over what occurred in Haiti, but we do.
We do what we can – and that is to give money.
My home is still standing.
My wife and I had our  coffee this morning and then sent the second remittance of $2,715 (total now is $8,465) on behalf of Development and Peace, and the generous people of Osoyoos, to be spent for food, blankets, tents and hygiene kits in Haiti.
Thanks to all the people of Osoyoos who helped us do this small deed, and especially to Super Valu, Buy Low and Home Hardware.
Wallace Murphy,
Osoyoos
Editor’s Note: Osoyoos residents also donated $3,040 to the Canadian Red Cross Haiti Disaster Relief Fund through a promotion set up at Osoyoos’s Sunshine Valley Family Chiropractic clinic.

OSOYOOS TIMES-January 27, 2010

6 Comments

1. Allan Webster

January 27, 2010 at 7:30 am

Mr. Hill’s diversion is simply hiding behind the fine athletes and those who have organized the torch relay. when even Tom Flanagan states that Parliament was prorogued under spurious issues, then we as canadians, have to reflect on the closing of Parliament. The issue of proroguing 104 times is correct. Proroguing to run away from accountability is another matter.

2. Kelly Porter Franklin

January 27, 2010 at 7:44 am

Stop Complaining about Prorogation?
    Why should the PM be allowed to use the Olympics as a smoke screen for this attack on democracy? No, the real question about prorogation is not historical, it is here and now. Stephen Harper drowned over thirty bills in the bathtub and involved us in war crimes yet this writer claims I should be watching TV instead of concerning my little head with our nation’s honour. Sorry, you can’t change the channel that easily on Canadians.

3. Emily Dee

January 27, 2010 at 10:39 am

I want to respond to Stephen Hill’s comments. I find them terribly arrogant or at the very least, shockingly misinformed.

Prorogation is a normal Parliamentary procedure, much the same as adjourning a meeting. If not used, the mummified body of Sir John A. might still be residing in the House of Commons.

However, Parliament has only been suspended three times to avoid accountability, or for naked self-interest. Once, in fact by Sir John A., to halt accusations about the Pacific Railway Scandal and twice by Stephen Harper: Once to avoid a non-confidence vote and again to avoid accountability over the detainee issue and the brewing lobbying scandal.

So our complaining about this prime minister’s abuse of power was done in the spirit of ‘Swifter, Higher, Stronger’, and it is because we take pride in our country that we are defending it’s democratic institutions with such fervour.

If someone is running for office in this beautiful land, you would think that he understood that.

4. Scott Tribe

January 27, 2010 at 10:54 am

Stephen Hill’s LTE seems to presume Canadians can’t chew gum and walk at the same time.

The last time the winter Olympics were here in Canada, Brian Mulroney was PM. He didn’t feel the need to prorogue so everyone could watch the Olympics. He also didn’t do it twice in one year – like Harper has done – and he didn’t prorogue to avoid accountability to Parliament. He also didn’t come up with a wide range of excuses for justifying that prorogation, as Harper, various MP’s and cabinet ministers, and candidates for office like Hill is doing.

First it’s economic calibration, then it’s to enjoy the Olympics, next it’s to stuff the Senate – all except the real reason, which is they are in contempt of Parliament.

I’m sure many Canadians would like to “prorogue” work and take time off to watch the Olympics too, like Mr. Hill wants us to do. They don’t have the luxury of doing that however. They also wouldn’t be getting paid if they did, unlike Harper and his bunch who are getting millions of dollars in salary while on their vacation.

If this is what Mr. Hill is offering up as a candidate, you can expect even more parroting of mindless Conservative talking points if he were unfortunately elected to office.

5. Vern Schneebeli

January 27, 2010 at 10:57 am

I’m sure Mr. Stephen Hill would dearly like to believe that Canadians care nothing about the frightening antics of his government. The proroguement of Parliament being only the most recent example. His government has been systematically dismanteling the checks and balances of our democracy, building up massive powers in the office of the Prime Minister and relegating backbenchers and even cabinet ministers to the role of scripted mouthpieces.
    In my opinion this latest excess was the “straw that broke the camels back”. Canadians have had enough of the cynical Stephen Harper.

6. Stephen Hill

February 9, 2010 at 7:45 pm

I would like to thank all of you who took the time to write!

Without good public dialogue we will be unable to move forward as a nation. I am a tough hard nosed business person who is tired of all the plant closures and job losses in the riding. (Head Office, Fruit Packers – Osoyoos; General Coach – Oliver; P&T Mills, Midway, Grand Forks & Castlegar; Canpar – Grand Forks etc)

Now we face further community erosion with the closure of our community schools in Beaverdale, Midway, Grand Forks, Rossland, Warfield, Trail, Fruitvale, Castlegar, Nelson and elsewhere?

So if you want to continue to watch the economic degradation of this great riding; elect the NDP and get out and vote. I am happy to lose with 100% voter turnout!

However, if you are not happy with the economic direction of this riding perhaps I offer a different perspective? Your choice? And I will not be happy winning with 54% voter turnout.

Therefore, I am very pleased my article motivated you to write.

Sincerely,