- Cougars again sighted in Osoyoos, one shot, public warnedPosted 7 hours ago
- Cougars again seen in Osoyoos, one shot; public warnedPosted 8 hours ago
- Stu Wells withdraws mayoralty bid as Sue McKortoff seeks to fill his shoesPosted 7 days ago
- Officials unprepared when mussel-infested boat arrived at Osoyoos border crossingPosted 7 days ago
- MLA has received no complaints about park closurePosted 7 days ago
- Realtor and business owner Carol Youngberg plans to run for councilPosted 7 days ago
- Atamanenko urges feds to move faster on regulations to stop invasive musselsPosted 7 days ago
FARM LABOUR ORGANIZATION HAS NEW NAME, NEW CHAIR
I would like to give an update to all our community members on activities following the Action Planning Forum regarding seasonal farm labour issues held in Oliver on November 20, 2012.
The Steering Committee has a new name: Farm And Community Team Okanagan Similkameen (FACTOS). Our Mission Statement is: “Promoting community spirit and economic vitality for a healthy seasonal workforce.”
We are pleased to announce that Arlene Arlow, Councillor for the Village of Keremeos, has agreed to chair the committee. Although the funding is in place until the end of March 2013, we hope that continued funding can be secured because the issues are both economic and cultural and will continue beyond March, 2013.
Our next meeting is on Friday, January 11, 2013 from 10:00 am to noon in Penticton. We are still looking for volunteers who want to share their experience through either of our sub-committees: accommodation, transportation, cross-cultural education, labour and remuneration and safety and security.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Farm And Community Team Okanagan Similkameen (FACTOS) contact information: Phone: 250-493-6822, ext. 109 or toll-free at 1-866-493-6822.
Farm And Community