- Economic benefits of OCC will be felt in Oliver and entire South Okanagan for generations to comePosted 4 days ago
- Helping inmates acquire job and life skills during incarceration is prime focus, says OCC’s wardenPosted 4 days ago
- New fire hall almost ready to openPosted 6 days ago
- Tranquility Café owner apologizes to those he hurtPosted 6 days ago
- Tranquility Café owner David Taylor skips town leaving unpaid billsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Brenda Dorosz green lighted to seek NDP nominationPosted 2 weeks ago
- Trustee candidate Redenbach says he’ll be strong advocate for Osoyoos communityPosted 2 weeks ago
- Oliver woman found dead after vehicle went down embankment identified as Beverly Anne LouiePosted 2 weeks ago
FARM LABOUR ORGANIZATION HAS NEW NAME, NEW CHAIR
I would like to give an update to all our community members on activities following the Action Planning Forum regarding seasonal farm labour issues held in Oliver on November 20, 2012.
The Steering Committee has a new name: Farm And Community Team Okanagan Similkameen (FACTOS). Our Mission Statement is: “Promoting community spirit and economic vitality for a healthy seasonal workforce.”
We are pleased to announce that Arlene Arlow, Councillor for the Village of Keremeos, has agreed to chair the committee. Although the funding is in place until the end of March 2013, we hope that continued funding can be secured because the issues are both economic and cultural and will continue beyond March, 2013.
Our next meeting is on Friday, January 11, 2013 from 10:00 am to noon in Penticton. We are still looking for volunteers who want to share their experience through either of our sub-committees: accommodation, transportation, cross-cultural education, labour and remuneration and safety and security.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Farm And Community Team Okanagan Similkameen (FACTOS) contact information: Phone: 250-493-6822, ext. 109 or toll-free at 1-866-493-6822.
Farm And Community