- Paddleboard business alleges harassment by competitorPosted 5 days ago
- Teachers’ strike finally resolvedPosted 5 days ago
- Osoyoos couple announces intentions to run in upcoming municipal electionPosted 5 days ago
- Osoyoos’ Pederson has no illusions of becoming mayor, but running anywayPosted 5 days ago
- Ombudsperson office coming to Osoyoos to hear complaintsPosted 5 days ago
- Report raises questions about Desert Park’s futurePosted 2 weeks ago
- Officers for new jail soon to be hiredPosted 2 weeks ago
- Mount Baldy has plans for December opening, but local investor still neededPosted 2 weeks ago
- Education minister rejects BCTF’s call for binding arbitrationPosted 2 weeks ago
FARM LABOUR ORGANIZATION HAS NEW NAME, NEW CHAIR
I would like to give an update to all our community members on activities following the Action Planning Forum regarding seasonal farm labour issues held in Oliver on November 20, 2012.
The Steering Committee has a new name: Farm And Community Team Okanagan Similkameen (FACTOS). Our Mission Statement is: “Promoting community spirit and economic vitality for a healthy seasonal workforce.”
We are pleased to announce that Arlene Arlow, Councillor for the Village of Keremeos, has agreed to chair the committee. Although the funding is in place until the end of March 2013, we hope that continued funding can be secured because the issues are both economic and cultural and will continue beyond March, 2013.
Our next meeting is on Friday, January 11, 2013 from 10:00 am to noon in Penticton. We are still looking for volunteers who want to share their experience through either of our sub-committees: accommodation, transportation, cross-cultural education, labour and remuneration and safety and security.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Farm And Community Team Okanagan Similkameen (FACTOS) contact information: Phone: 250-493-6822, ext. 109 or toll-free at 1-866-493-6822.
Farm And Community