- Water shortages and conservation remain a hot topicPosted 5 days ago
- With or without Mt. Baldy, Osoyoos has great winter potential, says DO managerPosted 5 days ago
- Five-person ‘focus group’ picked by MLA to review input on national park futurePosted 5 days ago
- Cast and crew rave about three weeks spent in Osoyoos shooting TV moviePosted 2 weeks ago
- Public’s help sought to identify burglars at Dairy Queen, Campo MarinaPosted 2 weeks ago
- Refugee project launches fundraising campaignPosted 2 weeks ago
- Cash donations especially welcome as food bank gets ready to deliver annual Christmas hampersPosted 2 weeks ago
- Osoyoos pays tribute to veterans and fallen comradesPosted 2 weeks ago
- Town of Osoyoos is asked to be part of proposed Regional Heritage CommissionPosted 2 weeks ago
FORTISBC DEFENDS UTILITY’S SMART METERS APPLICATION PROCESS
In your January 16 edition of your newspaper, you published a letter expressing concerns regarding “smart meters” including perceived health risks.
FortisBC has proposed the installation of advanced meters for its electric customers; however, with regard to human assessments of human safety, FortisBC relies upon the judgment of our public health institutions that regularly review relevant scientific literature. These institutions include the BC Ministry of Health and Health Canada.
In addition, FortisBC is going through a public and transparent regulatory process with the BC Utilities Commission regarding its proposed Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) project. This process includes input from customers, including those who have health concerns. Ultimately, the Commission will weigh the evidence and decide whether or not FortisBC can proceed with this project.
Customers wanting more information on our project or to view the expert statements from the public health officials mentioned above can visit fortisbc.com/ami. For more information on the BCUC regulatory process, including extensive evidence regarding the proposed project, please visit bcuc.com.
Director of Customer Service