- Mayors happy about WestJet’s plans to offer Penticton to Calgary daily servicePosted 9 hours ago
- Environmentalist stops in Osoyoos on cross-Canada unicycle journeyPosted 9 hours ago
- New human-caused wildfire east of Osoyoos Lake angers mayor, residentsPosted 1 week ago
- Drunk driving impact made real as OSS students hear from paralyzed man who killed friendPosted 1 week ago
- Washington State to maintain Osoyoos Lake summer level below the maximum allowedPosted 1 week ago
- ‘Frumpy’ Oxbows kiosk to get ‘fabulous’ makeoverPosted 1 week ago
- Ex-teacher pleads guilty to theft from fire districtPosted 2 weeks ago
- Osoyoos real estate market heats upPosted 2 weeks ago
- OBWB lobbies province, feds for action on musselsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Controlled burn on Osoyoos Indian Band land didn’t pose fire threatPosted 2 weeks ago
FORTISBC DEFENDS UTILITY’S SMART METERS APPLICATION PROCESS
In your January 16 edition of your newspaper, you published a letter expressing concerns regarding “smart meters” including perceived health risks.
FortisBC has proposed the installation of advanced meters for its electric customers; however, with regard to human assessments of human safety, FortisBC relies upon the judgment of our public health institutions that regularly review relevant scientific literature. These institutions include the BC Ministry of Health and Health Canada.
In addition, FortisBC is going through a public and transparent regulatory process with the BC Utilities Commission regarding its proposed Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) project. This process includes input from customers, including those who have health concerns. Ultimately, the Commission will weigh the evidence and decide whether or not FortisBC can proceed with this project.
Customers wanting more information on our project or to view the expert statements from the public health officials mentioned above can visit fortisbc.com/ami. For more information on the BCUC regulatory process, including extensive evidence regarding the proposed project, please visit bcuc.com.
Director of Customer Service