- Suspicious package caused closure of Osoyoos RCMP detachment on WednesdayPosted 6 days ago
- Strike continues as Sept. 2 date for school return nearsPosted 6 days ago
- Province, feds’ inaction on invasive mussels frustrates local water officialsPosted 6 days ago
- Nominations open soon for November municipal electionsPosted 6 days ago
- Province’s plan for Grist Mill sets off alarm bellsPosted 6 days ago
- Great teamwork cited by Anarchist Mountain fire chief for bringing brush fire quickly under controlPosted 6 days ago
- New vice principal announced at Osoyoos Elementary SchoolPosted 6 days ago
- Harness racing could return here next yearPosted 2 weeks ago
- Langley man facing serious weapons charges after guns found in OsoyoosPosted 2 weeks ago
- Dawn MacRae of Oliver is new Osoyoos IdolPosted 2 weeks ago
FORTISBC DEFENDS UTILITY’S SMART METERS APPLICATION PROCESS
In your January 16 edition of your newspaper, you published a letter expressing concerns regarding “smart meters” including perceived health risks.
FortisBC has proposed the installation of advanced meters for its electric customers; however, with regard to human assessments of human safety, FortisBC relies upon the judgment of our public health institutions that regularly review relevant scientific literature. These institutions include the BC Ministry of Health and Health Canada.
In addition, FortisBC is going through a public and transparent regulatory process with the BC Utilities Commission regarding its proposed Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) project. This process includes input from customers, including those who have health concerns. Ultimately, the Commission will weigh the evidence and decide whether or not FortisBC can proceed with this project.
Customers wanting more information on our project or to view the expert statements from the public health officials mentioned above can visit fortisbc.com/ami. For more information on the BCUC regulatory process, including extensive evidence regarding the proposed project, please visit bcuc.com.
Director of Customer Service