- New vice principal announced at Osoyoos Elementary SchoolPosted 2 days ago
- Great teamwork cited by Anarchist Mountain fire chief for bringing brush fire quickly under controlPosted 5 days ago
- Harness racing could return here next yearPosted 6 days ago
- Langley man facing serious weapons charges after guns found in OsoyoosPosted 6 days ago
- Dawn MacRae of Oliver is new Osoyoos IdolPosted 6 days ago
- Sockeye recreational quota increases to four and will run to after Labour DayPosted 6 days ago
- RCMP commander Sgt. Kevin Schur is moving on to Kelowna-based training jobPosted 6 days ago
FortisBC smart meter project manager insists customers will benefit
In a letter published March 5, some concerns were raised regarding FortisBC’s advanced metering project.
Advanced meters will bring many benefits to our electricity customers, such as the ability to see your up-to-date electricity usage at any time; you’ll have the option to pick your due date or move to monthly billing; and advanced meters eliminate the need for billing estimates.
Our goal is to begin meter exchanges this fall starting in Trail and working through our service territory with the Okanagan scheduled for the winter of 2015, with all meter exchanges complete by the end of 2015.
We will, as always intended, inform all our customers in advance of any meter exchanges occurring, including the process for enrolling in the radio-off option.
FortisBC received approval from the BC Utilities Commission for this project in July 2013 following an extensive, public regulatory process.
During this process, the topics of safety and privacy were discussed and the Commission concluded that advanced meters are safe.
While advanced meters bring many benefits to customers, we understand that some customers may wish to receive an advanced meter with the radio turned off.
The BCUC has approved cost recovery fees for this option: an initial fee of $60 prior to meter installation and $88 after installation, and a meter reading fee of $18 every two months for residential customers.
For more information on the advanced meter project or to learn more about the radio-off option, please visit fortisbc.com/ami or call our contact centre at 1-866-436-7847.
Advanced Metering Infrastructure