- Family Foods sold to AG FoodsPosted 2 days ago
- Council holds property tax increase below 2%Posted 2 days ago
- Council votes to allow local contractors to bid on second phase of Gyro Park PlazaPosted 2 days ago
- Mayor updates Rotarians on key decisions facing town council in coming monthsPosted 2 days ago
- Police respond to two Osoyoos break and enters over weekendPosted 2 days ago
- Osoyoos needs to be promoted as great place to live, not just visit, says councillorPosted 1 week ago
- New information sessions coming in March for those looking to find jobs at Okanagan Correctional CentrePosted 1 week ago
- Local MP, BCFGA speak out against genetically modified apples being approved for U.S. marketPosted 1 week ago
- Organizers of Easter Eggstravaganza say event will proceed, but 2015 parade will be cancelledPosted 1 week ago
- Rai leads Rattlers into Valley ChampionshipsPosted 1 week ago
FULL HOUSE EXPECTED FOR LAUGHING OUT LOUD FUNDRAISER FOR OSOYOOS ARTS COUNCIL
Sue Whittaker, chair of the Osoyoos and District Arts Council, says an evening full of amazing food and belly laughs is sure to attract a full house of 200 a week from Saturday at the Nk’Mip Conference Centre.
That’s when the arts council is hosting its Laughing Out Loud fundraising event, featuring special guest Roman Danylo, the star of the popular Comedy Network program Comedy Inc.
“The Osoyoos Concert Series serves as a sub-committee of the Arts Council and the people who book the acts for the concert series saw Roman perform at the Pacific Contact event last year and they were just blown away,” said Whittaker. “They raved about him, so that was good enough for us and we booked him several months ago.
“He’s a very funny man and a genuinely nice guy to deal with and he’s very excited about coming to perform for us.”
The Laughing Out Loud event is set for Saturday, April 28 and more than 100 of the 200 available tickets have already been sold, so anyone interested in a night of great food and great laughter should get their tickets soon before they’re sold out, said Whittaker.
“We’re really encouraging groups of eight to come out as they can have a table to themselves and enjoy a wonderful night together,” she said. “This is going to be a great evening of great food and laughter, so please get your tickets as quickly as possible so you’re not disappointed.”
This is the third bi-annual fundraising for the local arts council. Two years ago, a burlesque troupe from Vancouver provided the entertainment, while four years ago a local choir performed, said Whittaker.
The fundraiser has proven so popular, the board decided to book the Nk’Mip Conference Centre because it’s a bigger venue and can bring in a big-name entertainer like Danylo for this year’s event, she said.
“We sold out last year, but our capacity was only 120 people at the Watermark Beach Resort,” she said. “We wanted to have a bigger venue this year as well as showcasing the many outstanding venues we’re lucky enough to have in this town to host an event like this.”
The buffet dinner will include roast beef, salmon and chicken, with all the trimmings, as well as several specialty cakes and pastries. A martini bar will also be set up. The evening also includes a live and silent auction.
Tickets are $65, which is a reasonable price considering the beautiful venue, meal and entertainment, she said.
The arts council has a brand new logo, which will be on display throughout the evening as paddles being sold for the silent auction will be emblazoned with the logo, she said.
The organization is also in the process of renaming its building on Main Street to the Osoyoos Arts Centre and a new sign is being built and will soon be erected, with some of the proceeds from the fundraiser going to pay for the sign, she said.
Tickets remain on sale at Imperial Office Pro and the Osoyoos Art Gallery, which is open from noon until 4 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday.
Whittaker is in charge of seating for the evening and anyone wanting to discuss seating arrangements for the evening can call her at 250-495-7664.
Doors open at 5 p.m. on April 28 as tickets for the silent auction go on sale. Dinner is set for 6 p.m., with Danylo set to perform around 8 p.m.