- Mount Baldy ski resort assets for sale in court-approved foreclosurePosted 1 day ago
- Wildfires burn to north and south; campfires bannedPosted 1 day ago
- Osoyoos council plans comprehensive bylaw to address RV parksPosted 1 day ago
- Sewer study to shape improvements over next two decadesPosted 1 day ago
- Recreational Sockeye fishery opening on Osoyoos Lake expected at end of monthPosted 1 week ago
- Highway 97 will soon get $3M facelift from Osoyoos to OliverPosted 1 week ago
- Third wildfire burning near Mount KobauPosted 1 week ago
- Osoyoos man believed to be drowned near RevelstokePosted 1 week ago
- Shendah Benoit to become principal at Tuc El Nuit ElementaryPosted 2 weeks ago
- Firefighters contain wildfire west of OsoyoosPosted 2 weeks ago
GRAND NIGHT FUNDRAISER LIKELY TO SELL OUT ONCE AGAIN THIS YEAR
If last year is any indication, tickets will likely sell out early for this year’s Grand Night fundraiser for the Desert Sun Counselling and Resource Centre.
The eighth annual Grand Night, to be held January 26 at Watermark Beach Resort, has the theme this year of “A Moroccan Escape,” says Roxie Van Aller, executive director of Desert Sun.
“Last year it was sold out, so people should get their tickets sooner rather than later,” Van Aller said.
The event includes a dinner, dance and silent auction. At 11 p.m., there’s a grand prize draw for $1,000, she said.
The event is called Grand Night not only because it’s a great time, but because someone in attendance will be lucky enough to take home the $1,000 grand prize, said Van Aller.
Keeping with the Moroccan Escape theme, the food and decorations will be largely based on Moroccan culture.
Proceeds from the event go towards programming at Desert Sun for services such as the community kitchen, women’s crisis line, the safe home project and men’s counselling.
The event starts with cocktails at 6 p.m. and is followed by dinner at 7 p.m.
A number of local chefs have volunteered for the event. These include Natasha Schooten of Terrafina, Justin Paakkunainen of Walnut Beach Resort, Jonas Stadtländer of Watermark Beach Resort, Jeff Van Geest of Miradoro at Tinhorn Creek and Liam McNulty of Nk’Mip Cellars.
Each year the event features a different theme and organizers are excited about the Moroccan theme this year, said Van Aller.
In previous years, themes have included “A Winter in New York,” “An Evening in Paris,” “A Night at the Oscars,” “An Enchanted Evening in Wine Country,” “Carnival by Moonlight,” “A Captain’s Gala Dinner,” and “A Sparkling Affair.”
A safe shuttle ride home is available and the Watermark is offering a one-bedroom suite special starting at $79.
Tickets, at $85 each, are available at Imperial Office Pro in Osoyoos and Beyond Bliss Esthetics in Oliver. You can also purchase tickets over the phone through Desert Sun Counselling and Resource Centre at 250-498-2538.