Larson’s comments about place of birth were disgraceful

By on April 11, 2017

Dear Editor:

It has become clear to me that our local MLA Linda Larson truly does not understand the demographics of her riding.

How offensive her recent remarks are that Boundary-Similkameen NDP candidate Colleen Ross’ children were not born in this area.

Ms. Ross chose to live her life and farm in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Why should choosing carry less weight than where you were born?

I chose to move here from Ontario and have called Osoyoos home since 2005.

I am not from here, so does that mean that Larson doesn’t see me as a fit constituent to represent?

What about my doctor? She isn’t from here. She is from South Africa.

What about about my dentist?  He isn’t from here. He is from Alberta.

What about all the staff at Tim Horton’s who serve me my morning coffee and afternoon green tea?

They aren’t from here, but they always offer me profound blessings for a great day.  What about my cycling coach? She isn’t from here.

What about the Town of Osoyoos staff who take such great care of our town? Some of them aren’t from here.

Many of our teachers aren’t from here. Are all of our farmers who grow our food from here?

What about the orchardists who grow fruit? Are they from here?

In looking at the rich diversity of the people who have settled here and the fact this remains a small town, almost everyone who now calls Osoyoos home is from somewhere else.

Having said that, the Okanagan First Nation people have been here for thousands and thousands of years and they are truly from here.

What a misinformed and absolutely offensive comment made by a woman who does not understand community, yet still wants our trust to represent us come this May.

How very sad.

Dr. Martha Collins

Osoyoos, B.C.

Print Friendly

8 Comments

1. Everett Baker

April 12, 2017 at 11:34 am

Linda Larson did not start this. Colleen Ross at the All Candidates Debates in her opening remarks said that she was running to make life better for her children and grandchildren make you believe that they lived here in the Boundary – Similkameen when I fact they don’t even live in the province.

• John Taylor

April 12, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Funny how Everett Baker, commenter above, comes to Ms. Larson’s defence.
      He is her campaign manager, after all.

Ms. Ross is trying to make the world a better place for everyone’s children and grandchildren.
      Something Ms. Larson hasn’t bothered to lift a finger to do in her four years in office.

I have had enough of BC Liberal corruption and will be voting for change May 9.

• Cheryl Tidd

April 13, 2017 at 8:19 am

You are so right… I’m a little angry at her for refusing to discuss hydro rates and downplaying our hospital situation… she needs to go…

2. Valorie Paolera

April 12, 2017 at 3:39 pm

I agree with Martha, very few are born and raised in B.C. “Question”, was Christie Clark born here?” We all know she doesn’t live, or ever lived in her riding. So long as a person is willing to work for the people, and not just look for a paycheque, or Great retirement benefits, I can’t see where one was born as anything to do with running for a seat in Government.

3. Al Hudec

April 12, 2017 at 4:24 pm

I run into this parochial small town attitude from the long term locals all of the time. Often they have a lot of extended family here so can bring that support to their political initiatives. But their attitude to new comers (and if you came from somewhere else you will always be a newcomer – even if it has been 20 years) is that we aren’t comfortable with you – we don’t know you or your belief system or your motives – so we just don’t trust you and never will. Things are changing though. The valley is filled with new comers and the days of these old time home bred politicians are coming to an end quickly.

4. Marty Menzies

April 12, 2017 at 10:07 pm

You cannot choose your birthplace but you can choose where you live. Ms. Larson chooses to often live in her own shallow little world.

5. J. Scott Storle

April 15, 2017 at 1:37 am

I agree with Martha, MLA Linda Larsen is like so many of the profiteers who seek election whether that be for the paycheck or the pension. They fill you full of promises and then find a way to get around fulfilling that promise. This MLA has lost touch with the communities the profess to represent. My vote is for change as well.

6. David Pacey

April 17, 2017 at 7:50 am

Heads up folks – you are all immigrants to the O Kay Valley, to bc, to Canada – or sons and daughters of ……
    Also the native indians are the same – sons and daughters of immigrants.
    They have ZERO special bragging rights. They just as a group arrived sooner than your ancestors.