- Mount Baldy ski resort assets for sale in court-approved foreclosurePosted 2 days ago
- Wildfires burn to north and south; campfires bannedPosted 2 days ago
- Osoyoos council plans comprehensive bylaw to address RV parksPosted 2 days ago
- Sewer study to shape improvements over next two decadesPosted 2 days ago
- Recreational Sockeye fishery opening on Osoyoos Lake expected at end of monthPosted 1 week ago
- Highway 97 will soon get $3M facelift from Osoyoos to OliverPosted 1 week ago
- Third wildfire burning near Mount KobauPosted 1 week ago
- Osoyoos man believed to be drowned near RevelstokePosted 1 week ago
- Shendah Benoit to become principal at Tuc El Nuit ElementaryPosted 2 weeks ago
- Firefighters contain wildfire west of OsoyoosPosted 2 weeks ago
Mexican man faces sentencing in cocaine seizure near Osoyoos
Andy Garcia Macias has entered a guilty plea will appear in court for sentencing on May 26.
Osoyoos RCMP said the incident occurred Jan. 3 near Boot Lake.
Two males were arrested in a joint operation between the United States Border Patrol, RCMP Federal Serious and Organized Crime (FSOC) and Osoyoos RCMP.
Garcia Macias had already crossed the border into Canada and was carrying a backpack containing nine bricks of cocaine weighing about nine kilograms, Osoyoos RCMP said.
The second male had already re-entered the U.S. and was arrested there with nothing in his possession. A thorough search of the arrest area revealed a second backpack containing an additional eight bricks of cocaine.
“This investigation is an example of excellent inter-agency collaboration involving the RCMP and the United States Border Patrol,” said Cpl. Laurie White, RCMP FSOC spokesperson.
SPECIAL TO THE TIMES