- Suspicious package caused closure of Osoyoos RCMP detachment on WednesdayPosted 2 days ago
- Strike continues as Sept. 2 date for school return nearsPosted 2 days ago
- Province, feds’ inaction on invasive mussels frustrates local water officialsPosted 2 days ago
- Nominations open soon for November municipal electionsPosted 2 days ago
- Province’s plan for Grist Mill sets off alarm bellsPosted 2 days ago
- Great teamwork cited by Anarchist Mountain fire chief for bringing brush fire quickly under controlPosted 2 days ago
- New vice principal announced at Osoyoos Elementary SchoolPosted 2 days ago
- Harness racing could return here next yearPosted 1 week ago
- Langley man facing serious weapons charges after guns found in OsoyoosPosted 1 week ago
- Dawn MacRae of Oliver is new Osoyoos IdolPosted 1 week ago
Mexican man faces sentencing in cocaine seizure near Osoyoos
Andy Garcia Macias has entered a guilty plea will appear in court for sentencing on May 26.
Osoyoos RCMP said the incident occurred Jan. 3 near Boot Lake.
Two males were arrested in a joint operation between the United States Border Patrol, RCMP Federal Serious and Organized Crime (FSOC) and Osoyoos RCMP.
Garcia Macias had already crossed the border into Canada and was carrying a backpack containing nine bricks of cocaine weighing about nine kilograms, Osoyoos RCMP said.
The second male had already re-entered the U.S. and was arrested there with nothing in his possession. A thorough search of the arrest area revealed a second backpack containing an additional eight bricks of cocaine.
“This investigation is an example of excellent inter-agency collaboration involving the RCMP and the United States Border Patrol,” said Cpl. Laurie White, RCMP FSOC spokesperson.
SPECIAL TO THE TIMES