- Water shortages and conservation remain a hot topicPosted 4 hours ago
- With or without Mt. Baldy, Osoyoos has great winter potential, says DO managerPosted 4 hours ago
- Five-person ‘focus group’ picked by MLA to review input on national park futurePosted 4 hours ago
- Cast and crew rave about three weeks spent in Osoyoos shooting TV moviePosted 1 week ago
- Public’s help sought to identify burglars at Dairy Queen, Campo MarinaPosted 1 week ago
- Refugee project launches fundraising campaignPosted 1 week ago
- Cash donations especially welcome as food bank gets ready to deliver annual Christmas hampersPosted 1 week ago
- Osoyoos pays tribute to veterans and fallen comradesPosted 1 week ago
- Town of Osoyoos is asked to be part of proposed Regional Heritage CommissionPosted 1 week ago
New daily shuttle service has been needed for many years across region
It’s almost hard to believe that the South Okanagan – which happens to be one of Canada’s prime tourist destinations – has never had a daily ground transportation service to transport people from community to community.
That all changes this week with the introduction of the Let’s Go Transportation service, which will provide four round trips daily between Osoyoos and the Kelowna International Airport.
The majority of users are expected to be tourists who are visiting the South Okanagan to experience our world-class wineries and amazing beauty and scenery.
But the new bus shuttle service will also provide a wonderful opportunity for citizens from Osoyoos to leave their vehicles at home and spend a day shopping, sightseeing or visiting family and friends in other destinations across the South Okanagan.
After more than a year of hard work by key stakeholders, the new South Okanagan shuttle service was officially launched last week with key stakeholders gathering outside the Nk’ Mip Cellars Winery up at the beautiful Spirit Ridge Vineyard Spa and Resort.
As anyone who has lived in Osoyoos for any period of time surely knows, there has been bus service in this community for many years. But the services offered by Greyhound and B.C. Transit were sadly lacking.
That will all change with daily, round-trip service from Osoyoos to Kelowna International Airport as well as Penticton Airport and several other pick up and drop off locations in between.
Those locations include stops in Oliver, Okanagan Falls, Penticton, Summerland, Peachland, West Kelowna and the Orchard Park Mall in Kelowna.
Tourists from around the world who flock to the South Okanagan will now be able to easily access affordable ground transportation and visit as many communities as they desire during their stay. Local residents will be able to leave their vehicles in their driveway and head to the airports in Penticton and Kelowna and not have to worry about driving or paying for parking when they fly to their destination of choice. Those wanting to spend a day shopping in Penticton or Kelowna or visiting friends or family in Summerland, Peachland or West Kelowna can now jump on the shuttle bus in the morning and be back home in the afternoon or evening.
The economic spinoff benefits of offering this shuttle service across the entire South Okanagan are going to be immense.
Let’s Go Transportation owners Birgit and Fabio Santana have been offering a similar service to residents in the Central and North Okanagan for several years and believe this service will allow communities and residents to connect across the entire Okanagan Valley.
There’s no doubt tourists are going to use the shuttle service. To ensure its long-term viability and expansion of its fleet, Let’s Go is going to need permanent residents stretching from Osoyoos and Kelowna to use it as well.
We wish all the partners involved great success in a shuttle service that has been badly needed in this region for many years.