TORY THREAT TO RAISE AGE FOR OAS BENEFITS HAS ONE LOCAL SENIOR VERY UPSET

By on February 8, 2012

Dear Editor:

This letter has been written about the future of pensions here in Canada, the Canada Pension Plan and other items near and dear to our hearts.

This is also about the Conservative Party, which dictates rather than governs co-operatively – a political party that has no place in the Canadian way of life.

This is a party that makes statements and promises only to break those promises with complete disregard for the majority and I do not mean the “majority government” they won in the last election, but the majority of citizens across this country,

Many excellent comments are being made in the House of Commons – even though the opposition will get nowhere there – but if they have in and keep making them, perhaps some will make a difference.

I’m also hoping some of us may learn to listen and think because these changes being proposed by Prime Minister Harper and his government in relation to Old Age Security affects us all.

Over the years, small and large improvements have come about, with an amount of effort which most of us can not recall or happened far before our time. It must not be thrown out with smug complacency.

If you increase the time for pension eligibility, you increase the wait for those entering the job market as young people will be taxpayers for decades to come.

Members of Parliament must listen to all their voters, not just the ones who may have for them or the party or leader and if they don’t, seniors, students, working people and the “occupy” movement may all speak up and act forcefully.

MPs and senators may be well-off financially and have the prospect of having even better pensions, but even they have friends and relatives who may need to lean on them in tough times.

In the final analysis, they have to live in their communities.

I say we should all join forces and not political parties and throw the bums out.

Buryl Black

Osoyoos, B.C.

7 Comments

1. Les W. Dewar

February 8, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I have been a Conservative all my life and I am quite happy that we have a Conservative majority Government! At least now things will get done. The Liberals had their chance and they sat on the fence and dithered and nothing got done. That is not the kind of Canada that I want to live in. I may not totally agree with everything that the Conservatives do, but overall I am pleased.

2. Mark

March 5, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Dear Less, I mean Les…
    You must be already retired and enjoying your pension. I have been working for 37 years and have been looking very much forward to retiring. However, the conservatives that you are so proud of supporting and vote for every year continously raise the retirement age so they can collect more taxes for a longer period of time hoping that I will pass away before I can collect what should be my right to collect. Are you one of the MP’S that worked for a year and is collectiing 80k a year of my tax dollars? Les W Dewar says… let there be war so I have something entertaining to watch on the news.

3. Mark

March 5, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Tell me something Les W The War…
    Were you involved in sending Liberal Voters to the Eastern front?

4. Mark

March 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I agree with throwing the bums out. But retired bums with money are the ones that are in control of this country. This Government would love to see all of us that are close to retirement die with a shovel in our hand.

5. Mark

March 5, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Every time I see Harper I see strings controlling his mouth and his body. Puppet on a string… I think we would have quite a show if Harper was dropped all by himself in an alley with a real working man trying to put food on the table for his family and knowing that he will never be able to retire… I’m putting my odds on the hard working man. Because simply put… Harper was born with a silver spoon up his ying yang and now it has spread to Les W Dewar.

6. Mark

March 5, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Ask not what you can do for yourself… but ask what can you do to make Harper and all his friends and family richer. I for one believe that there should be a system in place that if you have worked for more then 30 years you should get full pension , no questions asked.

7. Mark

March 5, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I’m going to assume that Les is taking a nap after counting his conservative pension.