- Great teamwork cited by Anarchist Mountain fire chief for bringing brush fire quickly under controlPosted 5 hours ago
- Harness racing could return here next yearPosted 2 days ago
- Langley man facing serious weapons charges after guns found in OsoyoosPosted 2 days ago
- Dawn MacRae of Oliver is new Osoyoos IdolPosted 2 days ago
- Sockeye recreational quota increases to four and will run to after Labour DayPosted 2 days ago
- RCMP commander Sgt. Kevin Schur is moving on to Kelowna-based training jobPosted 2 days ago
Town needs to enforce rules when it comes to punishing owners of vicious dogs, says reader
I was quite disturbed when I read the article two weeks ago about the pit bull attacking an elderly dog on Main Street in Osoyoos.
I have passed this gentlemen and his quiet old dog many times.
I have a 13 year old shih tzu and the most they do is maybe sniff each other and move on.
The dog is not aggressive and the owner is very responsible.
This town has to quit giving breaks to dog owners who are not responsible.
If your dog bites my dog and I am forced to send it to the veterinarian, then you should pay the bill because you have failed to have control of your aggressive dog.
Two weeks ago I was walking my dog to my car parked near the bandshell in Gyro Park when a female pit bull came running across the grass to see her.
I quickly picked her up and threw her in the car. I believe this dog was friendly, but it should not be running freely scaring off innocent people with their dogs.
I noticed in the Osoyoos 2013 Annual Report Summary that there were 2,444 park infractions with 788 relating to dogs. I also noticed only 28 municipal tickets were issued and 115 warning tickets were issued.
Those numbers just don’t make sense. The percentage issued compared to infractions is just not tolerable.
Why even pay for these patrols when nothing is being done?
Let’s also get on board with community policing and get these officers out of the cars and walking the beat or patrolling by bikes.
We are a resort town and we shouldn’t be scaring the tourists away.
This letter was written by a concerned local taxpayer.
Thank you for your time.