- Osoyoos Times wins five awards in national CCNA competitionsPosted 3 days ago
- For independent candidate Dr. Peter Entwistle, all politics is about healthPosted 3 days ago
- It’s easier now to vote in advance as polls open six days in total starting this weekendPosted 3 days ago
- School board appoints new principalsPosted 3 days ago
Why we need a national park
Here are some of the reasons why I feel the proposed national park for South Okanagan-Similkameen is needed after living for over 20 years next door to the provincial park near Kilpoola Estates.
1. There has been endless dumping of garbage, building materials, yard waste, old tires and even a china toilet.
2. I have watched dirt bikes, quads and 4WD vehicles chasing stock, including crippling a horse, harassing horseback riders, mud bogging, going off road and spreading noxious weeds.
3. I have seen hunters shooting firearms near homes, shooting explosive charges at bird houses and signs and dogs and cats.
4. I’ve seen campers and bush parties leaving all kinds of items such as bottles, cans, clothing and half burnt wood (even in the middle of the road)
5. I’ve observed grazing not to range use plans, cattle guards not maintained (full of dirt), old cattle guards abandoned in the bush, cutting fences, opening of gates and stealing the gate, illegal dams, unmaintained dams and causing stream diversions.
6. I’ve seen old mines and mineral exploration pits not cleaned up.
7. I’ve seen people getting rid of grow-op equipment, including good HD extension cords.
8. I’ve watched fires set intentionally and not intentionally, causing major fires where there is no fire protection.
9. I’ve seen dropping off unwanted cats and dogs.
10. I’ve observed small children, speeders and drunks in a variety of motorized vehicles on the roads and trails.
Having lived next to a national park area- I strongly suggest a national park would be the best for this area. Thank you for your time.